Honors and Distinctions
Founded in 1868
Holy Names University (HNU) is a fully accredited, Roman Catholic, co-educational university. Founded by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in 1868, HNU offers a liberal arts and professional education to prepare a diverse student body for productive lives of leadership and service.History
- Accreditation – In July 2016, HNU’s accreditation was reaffirmed for eight years by WSCUC.
- NCAA II Membership – In July, 2016, HNU was accepted as a full member.
- Oakland Chamber of Commerce – Holy Names University is a proud member.
- San Leandro Chamber of Commerce – Holy Names University is a proud member.
- US News and World Report Best Colleges Guide 2020 ranks HNU 6th Most Diverse University in their Regional Universities West category.
- US News and World Report Best Colleges Guide 2020 ranks HNU 17th in their new Top Performers in Social Mobility category in their Regional Universities West category.
- US News and World Report Best Colleges Guide 2020 ranks HNU in their Regional Universities West category.
- HNU Endowment – Enhanced to 40+ million-dollars by a significant gift from the R. H. and Jane Logan Trust, the largest bequest ever received by the University.
- Teacher of the Year Award, Ann Park ’95, Alameda County.
- Most Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs, 2018, Diverse Issues in Higher Education.
- Center for Social Justice and Civic Engagement – Established in 2008, the Center has increasingly been acknowledged as a model for aligning educational actions with institutional mission. The work of the Center has been recognized as enriching the understanding of social issues through personal exploration and socially responsible leadership at the University and within the local and global community.
- Founding Member of Yes We Must Coalition, a national organization striving to promote college access and success for low-income students by promoting the work of small, independent, not-for-profit colleges and universities and others committed to this purpose.
- Founding Member of Oakland Promise, an initiative dedicated to ensuring every child in Oakland graduates high school with the expectations, resources, and skills to complete college and be successful in the career of his or her choice.
- College of Distinction, 2018-2019, 2017-2018, 2016-2017; 2015-2016; 2014-2015; 2013-2014; 2012-2013; 2011-2012.
- Catholic College of Distinction, 2017-2018, 2016-2017; 2015-2016; 2014-2015; 2013-2014; 2012-2013; 2011-2012.
- HNU is a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and is a member of HACU.
- HNU is an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution.
- Raskob is a division of Holy Names University. We are an independent, non-sectarian, State Certified as an NPS (non-public school), and are also W.A.S.C. accredited.
- Raskob is a National Association of Special Education Teachers (NASET) School of Excellence.