The HNU Upward Bound Program
Who we serve
Every year, Holy Names University Upward Bound offers over 200 high school students the extra support they need to go to college. They attend Oakland, Fremont, or Castlemont High School in the Oakland Unified School District, or Tennyson High School in the Hayward Unified School District -- and come from low-income families. With the goal of being the first generation in their families to earn a bachelor's degree, HNU Upward Bound students get the help they need to succeed -- in the welcoming environment they deserve.Upward Bound Covid-19 Newsletter
The HNU Upward Bound program engages each student, from freshman to senior year, to enhance their high school experience with an eye toward college. Over the past 10 years, over 95% of HNU Upward Bound graduating seniors have gone on to colleges or universities of their choice!
Throughout the school year, we provide students with practical support to make their college dreams come true, such as:
- Guidance on college planning and the admissions process
- Weekly tutoring
- College entrance exam preparation
- Assistance with college and financial aid applications
- Local and out-of-state college tours
- Saturday College academic enrichment courses at HNU
- Cultural activities (field trips, speakers, etc.)
- Community service opportunities
HNU Upward Bound also includes a six-week residential summer program on our campus.