Holy Names University offers a post-baccalaureate course of study leading to a Kodály Specialist Certificate during the academic year for music teachers, choral conductors, church musicians, and performers.
Students participate in the regular Kodály academic year program, gaining a fundamental grasp of the Kodály concept of music education through the core Kodály curriculum of solfège, choral conducting, choir, pedagogy, folk music and practicum.
Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in music or in a related field, and a high level of musical competency, teaching ability and professionalism demonstrable through departmental entrance examinations.
All candidates are strongly encouraged to begin their studies with the annual Kodály Summer Porgram, but credit from summer courses is not transferable to this certificate.
Certificate Requirements (20 units)
- MUSC 243 A, B Folk Music (2,2)
- MUSC 244 A, B Solfège & Musicianship (2,2)
- MUSC 247 A, B Kodály Pedagogy (2,2)
- MUSC 281 A, B Choral Conducting (2)
- MUSC 296 A, B Practicum (3,3)
Learn about the Admissions Process
Review the University Catalog
See our Course Schedules
View all job descriptions
* The positions listed here are ones identified by the University as positions for which a program completer would be educationally qualified. This list will be updated as necessary and appropriate.
Please click here to see employment disclosure and cost information for this program. Click here for general tuition and fees information.