Data Governance at HNU
Data are one of the University’s most important assets. Ensuring a solid data foundation assists the collaborative work of leaders and experts across campus in assessing the health of the institution, monitoring strategic initiatives and carrying out daily business processes through Data Governance. Data Governance is a collection of practices and processes, which helps to ensure the formal management of data assets within the university.Ticket request
The purpose of data governance is to ensure that data are created, maintained and used in a manner, which provides the best value to the institution. In order to be effective, it must be a collaborative effort involving the Registrar’s Office, Institutional Research, Information Technology and functional areas. Data governance helps to provide data transparency and results in confidence among university faculty, staff and management to trust and rely on data for information and decision support. Our role is to ensure that the highest quality data possible is delivered throughout the university and provides valuable information to serve individual and organizational needs.
Developing institution-wide policies
- The purpose of data governance is to develop institution-wide policies and procedures that ensure that our data meet these objectives within and across our administrative or academic data systems.
- Establish appropriate responsibility for the management of institutional data as an institutional asset.
- Improve ease of access and ensure that once data are located, users have enough information about the data to interpret them correctly and consistently.
- Improve the security of the data, including confidentiality and protection from loss.
- Improve the integrity of the data, resulting in greater accuracy, timeliness and quality of information for decision-making.
- Establish standard definitions for key institutional data to promote data integrity and consistency.