Back by popular demand! The Holy Names University School of Education is offering its virtual training in the Orton-Gillingham Approach this summer. Orton-Gillingham Approach synchronous Zoom trainings will take place over three weekends. Trainings will be led by Grace Sharma, Fellow-in-Training/OGA, under the supervision of Cyndi Schultz, Accredited Training Fellow/OGA.
You must attend all three weekends in order to complete the training:
June 5-6, 2021
June 26-27, 2021
July 10-11, 2021
All synchronous trainings take place from 9:00 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. 15 hours of pre-recorded training will be available June 1.
This training provides the coursework needed to achieve the Classroom Educator certification will be taught in a 30-hour training course; the registrant should be a teacher, ed therapist, allied professional, education or ed therapy student. This level of training membership prepares a teacher for implementing the Orton-Gillingham Approach within a classroom or small group, and is required for the Associates next level course, the next level in AOGPE which emphasizes course about one-on-one tutoring.
Expect to cover the following topics:
• Dyslexia and reading disorders
• The rationale for structured literacy, in particular the Orton-Gillingham Approach
• Phonology & phonological awareness
• The motor component, orthography of English, and the writing process
• Basic phonics for reading and spelling
• Intermediate phonics for reading and spelling
• The lesson plan, and teaching materials
• General history of the English language and beginning morphology
• Informal assessment and diagnostic prescriptive teaching
• Accuracy, automaticity, and fluency
For more information: View flier (PDF)
To register: Please complete this Registration Form (PDF) and return it to Polly Mayer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Three (3) CEU’s will be available from Holy Names University, for a separate fee of $120 per unit, paid directly to HNU with registration for training. Details regarding CEUs will be sent prior to the first class meeting.
To pay for your registration: Follow this link to make an online payment.