OAKLAND, CA (March 19, 2021) – Holy Names University (HNU) announces the launch of a new Certificate in Sport and Performance Psychology. The program is open to individuals interested in building foundational skills and knowledge in the field of Sport and Performance Psychology. The program may appeal to psychologists and therapists who want to work with performers, and coaches and athletic trainers who want to broaden their skillset. Graduates of the program may apply their coursework toward HNU’s Master’s in Applied Sport and Performance Psychology, should they decide to take their training further.
Certificate program benefits:
- Choice of on-campus, online, or hybrid program options
- Highly-skilled, internationally-recognized faculty
- Opportunity to gain experience with practitioners working with performers
- Performance masterclasses with renowned practitioners
- Elective courses in applying performance psychology in military, business, or performing arts contexts
- Certificate can be applied toward earning a master’s degree
- Coursework can be applied towards Certified Mental Performance Consultant certification through the Association of Applied Sport Psychology (Coursework will not fulfill all the requirements needed for this certification)
The Applied Sport and Performance Psychology program aims to meet the growing demand in California and across the country for sport and performance psychology practitioners. Graduates of HNU’s Sport and Performance Psychology programs can benefit anyone working in a setting that requires focused performance in high-pressure situations.
Program Director Dr. Alison Pope-Rhodius has nearly thirty years of experience in the field and has trained Olympic archers and other elite performers across a variety of disciplines. Says Dr. Pope-Rhodius, “This is an exciting time in the field of sport and performance psychology, and I’m thrilled to offer the opportunity for more professionals to gain training in this work. We welcome all students and professionals who want to join this dynamic community.”
Holy Names University (HNU) has been empowering and preparing a diverse student body for productive lives of leadership and service since 1868. Rooted in Catholic intellectual and spiritual traditions, the University was founded by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. HNU offers a liberal arts and professional education. Student-centered, with small class sizes and courses in varied formats and schedules, HNU meets the needs of all learners, including first-generation students and working adults. Nestled in the Oakland hills of California, the University’s idyllic, 60-acre campus offers panoramic views of San Francisco Bay. Learn more: www.hnu.edu.