Vaccination Requirement for HNU Students, Staff, and Faculty
Dear HNU students, staff, and faculty,
As we plan more in-person activity on campus this fall semester, Holy Names University has determined that requiring a COVID-19 vaccination for all students, staff, and faculty will best protect the health and well-being of our campus community.
COVID-19 vaccines have been shown to significantly reduce the probability of contracting and spreading the COVID-19 virus. The vaccines also reduce the chance of serious illness for those who do contract the virus. According to the CDC, the vaccines have received and continue to undergo the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history.
Submitting proof of vaccination
Proof of vaccination status (including date of first dose if second dose has not yet been obtained) must be provided to Holy Names University by August 1, 2021, as follows.
- Students: You will receive instructions in a separate email regarding how to upload proof of vaccination to HNU’s Residence Symplicity platform.
- Staff and Faculty: You may provide proof of vaccination to the HR Office in person or via email at HR@hnu.edu
Applying for an exemption
Students, faculty, and staff may apply for an exemption for medical reasons (including pregnancy and breastfeeding) or for deeply held religious beliefs.
- Students: The exemption form is available on the Residence Symplicity platform.
- Staff and Faculty: Contact HR Director, Pat Barton to request an exemption at email@example.com
Working on campus
Our goal is to provide a campus experience that best serves our students this fall. Starting August 1, University staff will be asked to work on campus a minimum of two days per week. We recognize that some essential staff have been and will continue to work full-time on campus. Those staff members who can perform their job functions entirely remotely may make a request of their VP to continue working remotely. Those who would prefer to work more than two days per week on campus may do so. Supervisors will work with each staff member on their work schedule to ensure that student, staff, and department needs are met. Holy Names faculty, including adjuncts, will work with their respective Deans to determine their working arrangements.
HNU will maintain our mask requirement through July and will make the following adjustments on August 1 (subject to state and local guidance):
- Students: Unvaccinated individuals are expected to wear a mask on campus.
- Staff and Faculty: Cal OSHA has announced that vaccinated workers may go mask-free on the job and unvaccinated workers are required to wear a mask.
- Those vaccinated individuals who would prefer wearing a mask may do so.
The COVID Response Team invites our campus community to an informal, virtual Q&A session next Tuesday, July 6, from 11:00 a.m.-noon. Based on the questions we receive during this session, we will develop and share an FAQ document for the campus community.
We are looking forward to being together again on campus this fall. And we appreciate your efforts to protect yourselves and others from COVID-19 while we create a positive, Holy Names experience for all of our Hawks.
Mike Groener, President
Laura Lyndon, on behalf of HNU’s COVID Response Team