Dear HNU students, faculty, and staff,
On behalf of the COVID Response Team, I wish you all a safe, healthy, and happy new year.
While we remain hopeful for a new reality once COVID vaccines are more widely available, we are currently experiencing a surge in both Alameda County and the State of California. As a result, Alameda County has extended its Shelter-In-Place (SIP) order beyond the original date of January 4, 2021, until further notice. For more information about the SIP order, please visit covid19.ca.gov
Following is an HNU campus update:
- The Public Market is offering to-go meals only.
- Tobin Gym is closed until we receive clearance to open from Alameda County.
- Cushing Library is open for pick-ups and returns only. Door side pick-up is available Monday through Saturday from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. and a drop box for library books is located outside of the front gate.
- Brennan Lounge will be open to provide study space starting on Monday, January 11. Hours of availability from Monday through Friday will be 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and on Saturdays and Sundays will be 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- The Chapel is closed until further notice.
- The Residence Halls remain open, with reduced capacity, for Spring Housing. Residents will continue to receive additional information about living on campus from the Office of Housing & Residence Life (Banez@hnu.edu or Residencelife@hnu.edu).
- COVID Testing on Campus is available bi-weekly to those living and working on campus through the Athletics Department. Testing on campus is required for all residents for Spring 2021.
- The HNU Campus is only accessible to staff or faculty with supervisor approval, essential staff, and residents. We will continue to use the Envoy app to track all campus visits and screen for COVID symptoms.
Beginning this week, I will be chairing the COVID Response Team. I would like to thank the entire team: Ang Banez, Sonia Caltvedt, Luis Guerra, John Hofmann, Gloria Juarez, Rob Kinnard, Casey LaBarbera, and Sheila Smith McKoy, for their ongoing work. I also want to give special thanks to Rob Kinnard for his leadership of the team during the fall semester.
Take care, everyone.
Laura Lyndon and the COVID Response Team